Growing gooseberries and red currants on a stem
Berry crops are an invariable attribute of the garden. The only question is how to grow them, so that they give a good harvest and, moreover, decorate the garden. Which varieties better tolerate disease? How to grow gooseberries and red currants on a stem? We hope that the answers to these questions in this article will help you.
Gooseberries, red currants - berry bushes. To grow a good, healthy crop, it is convenient to grow them in a standard form. It is beautiful and comfortable.
As for blackcurrant, it can not be grown in this form. Its wood has been functional for about two years, so the bushes are maintained using regenerative pruning, which is unacceptable for the stem.
It is not recommended to grow yoshta, or golden currant, on the stem.
- They do not withstand frosts of -25 - -30 ° C.
- Golden currants give root shoots, which negatively affects the development of berries.
How to grow your standard?
- In July, from the middle part of the shoots of red currant, cuttings with five eyes are cut and planted in open ground. At soil level, only the upper kidney is left.
- For the winter, the seedling is covered with fallen leaves.
- In the spring of next year, the kidney will start growing. Our task is to grow one shoot, so the lateral processes are removed.
- In order for the seedling to grow to 80 - 100 cm by the end of summer, it must be watered in a timely manner and fed regularly.
- We make a “dropper” - a capacity of 20 to 30 liters. In it 2 - 3 cm above the bottom, pierce with an awl hole, with a diameter thicker than a match. We make a hole around the seedling.
- We fill the container with a solution of fertilizers and place it near the tree so that the water slowly flows into the hole.
- Top dressing should be nitrogen in early summer, and phosphorus-potash in the end.
- In the spring of next year, the grown shoot is cut at a height of 75 - 85 cm, leaving 3 to 4 upper buds, and the rest are removed to the very bottom.
- Over the summer, 3 to 4 shoots 30 to 40 cm long are formed from these buds.
- The following year, these shoots are shortened, leaving 3-4 buds at their base.
Thus, in 2 - 3 years a beautiful plant is formed in a standard form. This tree begins to bear fruit in the third year.
To grow gooseberries on a stem, you need to dig a branch of the uterine bush, and in the fall, cut off the cuttings and plant them in a permanent place. And then everything is the same as for red currants.
What gooseberry varieties are best grown on a stem?
For the standardized form of gooseberry, it is better to use varieties resistant to powdery mildew and give preference to large-fruited varieties, for example, the varietyNeslukhivsky.
What varieties of red currant to grow on a stem?
For the standard form of red currant, varieties with long brushes are used: Rhond, Vicksne, Dutch pink, Bayan, Natalie, Troitskaya other.
Following these tips, standardized forms of berry crops can be planted in the most prestigious areas of the estate. They look beautiful both in ordinary plantings, and in any landscape compositions. After the work done, you will feel like a professional in gardening and many neighbors and acquaintances will envy you. I wish you success!